05 Sep Development Associate
Job Title: Associate, Development
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Reports To: Executive Director
Status: Full-Time, Regular, Exempt
Since 1981 Skylight (https://skylight.is) has been committed to producing artistic, challenging and socially relevant independent documentary films on issues of human rights and the quest for justice. At Skylight, We are a human rights media organization that works in solidarity with movements for social justice, using the cinematic arts to tell stories that illuminate, inspire, energize and galvanize communities to be protagonists of their own narratives, challenging oppression and impunity. We have been working with social justice movements for over 30 years. In collaboration with social movements, we create human rights media ecosystems with documentary films at their core.
You could be part of the team that helps build these ecosystems. Skylight is seeking a dynamic, self-starter to join as our Development Associate. This individual will play a major role in the implementation of Skylight’s development initiatives, supporting the financial growth of the organization nationally.
Application Priority Deadline: September 17th
We need someone who:
- Believes in transparency, integrity and the free flow of information, to advance human rights and social justice.
- Tech savvy and can learn fast.
- Proven research abilities, including gathering and interpreting data; funder prospecting experience desirable.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills.
- Has the ability to learn and manage database with confidential information.
- Has experience working for an issue or cause that they feel passionate about.
- Thrives in a creative, inventive, fast-paced startup environment with people who are passionate about their work and Skylight’s mission.
- You are data-driven, result-oriented and a forward-looking catalyst for human rights and social change.
- You have a collaborative and flexible work style. You’re excited to work cross-functionally with other departments and independently.
- Is a strong at managing your time and you can balance multiple projects and tasks.
- Is curious about the intersection of the documentary arts and activism, and possesses the writing and technical skills to craft and present compelling stories about that intersection.
Your key responsibilities in this role are:
- Works closely with the Executive Director on development planning.
- Research, cultivate, and report on new sources of institutional and individual support.
- Write and submit letters of inquiry and proposals.
- Maintain system for tracking all development correspondence, reporting, and support records.
- Engage in individual donor activities including events, donor campaigns and other cultivation.
- Support the fundraising activities by scheduling key meetings, coordinating agendas, and preparing materials.
- Gather information from program staff to articulate goals, activities, anticipated outcomes, successes, challenges, etc. to funders.
- Collaborate with the Director of Operations to reconcile monthly income and produce weekly donation reports.
- Maintain fundraising calendar and donation records.
- Provide staff support and outreach for fundraising events and campaigns.
- Assist with fundraising appeals and events.
- Process and acknowledge gifts.
- Work with the Skylight staff to update program impact statistics and create new narrative about Skylight’s programs.
- Manage Skylight’s annual crowdfunding campaign.
- Supervise fundraising intern(s), as necessary.
- Manage and updating donor data and pulling reports and lists, as needed.
- Draft and send out monthly fundraising newsletter.
Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications:
- 2-3 years of grant writing or general development experience, or administrative experience, preferably within a development team.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office, email marketing, CRM, and Google Apps for Business (Docs, Drive, GMail, Calendar, Chat, etc.).
- Exceptional writing, editing, and copyediting skills.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, both in person and on phone.
- Ability to work independently.
The essential elements for this work are: belief in a vision, courage to push for change, willingness to explore new ideas, expertise to accomplish the work and tenacity to reach the desired results. If you share this passion, we want to hear from you. Tell us what excites you about this opportunity and why you are right for it. Please send your cover letter and resume to Autumn Robinson firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com